New York Hemp Flower And CBD Laws | Is CBD Legal In New York?
Is CBD Legal In New York? How About Hemp Buds?
What’s the deal with the hemp laws in New York? In case you are a New Yorker, or plan to travel there, we will shed some insights on the CBD landscape. We are originally from NYC ourselves, so we are pretty well versed in New York hemp laws. In fact, we are the first CBD delivery service ever operating in New York, so we are kind of pioneers in that regard. Want to know more about hemp flower and CBD legality in New York? You are in the right place. Read on to learn more.
In addition to the federal hemp laws laid out in the 2018 Farm Bill, each state has its own state hemp laws. Before we dive in on New York Hemp Laws and the legality of CBD in New York, it is important to understand the different types of hemp and CBD products that these laws may be applied to.
- Isolate or THC-Free Hemp Oil has only CBD and all other plant compounds have been removed, THC is undetectable. Pure CBD Isolate can also be purchased in powder form.
- Full-Spectrum Hemp Oil has all plant compounds, including less than 0.3% THC.
- Broad-Spectrum Hemp Oil has undetectable THC, but contains other plant compounds.
- PCR (Phytocannabinoid-Rich) Hemp Oil with Zero-THC is a new marketing term for broad-spectrum hemp oil.
- CBG Hemp Flower is a hemp bud high in cannabigerol (CBG). Our Lavender CBG is an example of this.
- Hemp Flower is the dried and harvested flower of the hemp plant. It can be used whole or extracted to make CBD isolate, Full-Spectrum CBD, or Broad-Spectrum CBD.
New York hemp laws allow residents to purchase hemp and CBD products from stores and online, but prohibits products that have CBD added to food or drink.
FAQ: Hemp and CBD Legality in New York
Is CBD hemp flower Legal in New York?
Yes, hemp flower is legal in New York, so long as it is not marketed as “smokable hemp”. That means that flower joints are not legal to purchase in CBD shops, but they are legal to purchase online.
Hemp and CBD were legalized in New York in December 2019 under S.6184/A.7680. There remains contention on the issue of adding CBD to food and beverages, but clarifications are expected to come late in 2020. Also exciting is the prospect of marijuana legalization in New York’s future.
Is It Legal to Ship Full Spectrum Hemp Oil to New York?
It is legal to ship ALL types of hemp products with less than 0.3% THC to all US States according to the 2018 Farm Bill.
Where to Buy Full Spectrum CBD Oil in New York?
If you are looking to buy CBD in New York, you have the option of going to a retail store or purchasing online.
Do you need a special license to purchase CBD Oil in New York?
You don’t need a special license to purchase CBD hemp oil in New York, only to grow, test, or sell products.
How Does New York Legally Define Hemp?
“Industrial hemp” means the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant, INCLUDING THE SEEDS THEREOF AND ALL DERIVATIVES, EXTRACTS, CANNABINOIDS, ISOMERS, ACIDS, SALTS, AND SALTS OF ISOMERS, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.
New York Assembly Bill A7680A
Can You Get CBD Hemp Flower Delivered In NYC?
Yes, we are actually the first hemp company to offer same day CBD delivery in NYC or our premium hemp nugs. We operate out of Brooklyn, but will soon be extending our delivery zone to other boroughs.
Growing and Selling Hemp in New York
New York hemp growers and handlers must be registered and licensed with the state. New York has recently defined the legal process a hemp grower or processor must follow. Currently, New York’s hemp program is in a pilot phase. Growers who are participating are considered to be “research partners.”
New York does not allow CBD to be added to food or beverages, which is also the position of the FDA.
Retail Hemp and CBD products must comply with New York hemp laws, which are being lauded as some of the most comprehensive in the country:
- Products must contain no more than 0.3% THC
- Products must come from a registered farm
- Products must be tested by a licensed laboratory
- The THC must be reported as “total THC”
- GMP manufacturing requirements
- Must list the mg of CBD on the label (must match test results for each batch)
- Hemp flower must not be marketed for smoking uses. Only things like hemp teas. Once purchased, you may of course do what you like with your hemp buds.
New York state hemp laws allow for many products, some of which the FDA may be less welcome to:
- Hemp concentrates and extracts (oils and tinctures)
- Industrial hemp for building or fiber materials
- Hemp topicals
- Industrial hempseed (food product)
- Industrial hempseed oil (food product)
GMP CBD in NYC
One of the most unique requirements for CBD in New York is that their law requires:
ALL HEMP EXTRACT PRODUCTS SHALL BE EXTRACTED AND MANUFACTURED IN ACCORDANCE WITH GOOD MANUFACTURING PROCESSES, PURSUANT TO PART 111 OR
117 OF TITLE 21 OF THE CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
New York Assembly Bill A7680A
This means that New York state is taking a step to require manufacturing standards that the FDA has been lagging to roll out. Many believe that eventually all CBD products will be required to comply with GMP (Good Manufacturing Processes) Regulations. This very practical measure means that producers of CBD will be held to the same standards as dietary supplement producers.
Because compliance with GMP is expensive, it is likely to detract from those thinking about starting a CBD product company in New York. Of course, these regulations are expected to be applied to the whole country eventually (pending the FDA).
However, in the short term, New York’s “gold standard” CBD laws may actually discourage businesses from operating in New York.
It should also be noted that there is a difference between GMP compliant and GMP certified! For a company to be GMP certified, it must register with the FDA and undergo certification and inspections. Companies claiming to be “GMP compliant” may or may not actually be compliant! Without actual certification, this claim can be very misleading.
If you are looking for the best hemp flower and CBD online or to be delivered to your home in NYC, you should consider Dreamland Organics. Put some respect on your lungs and try only high grade, organic premium CBD and CBG flower.